Save the date for our upcoming conference!
Advancing Psychotherapy for the Next Generation: Rehumanizing Mental Health Policy and Practice
13-15 December 2019
San Francisco, CA
Psychotherapy is alive and well, bringing growth, understanding, transformation, compassion and cure to millions of people across the globe. Psychotherapy, in this country, is also under attack. Insurance companies are reluctant to cover treatments of any depth; psychology training programs are more and more constrained to teach only behavioral techniques rather than dynamically-informed, relationship-based treatments; and much public policy is strongly biased towards medications and short-term, structured interventions for people in distress.
So how do we safeguard psychotherapy? How do we buffer it from the assaults of over-medicalization, managed care, instrumentalization and reductionism? How do we create strong advocates for psychotherapy in public policy, professional education and clinical practice? How do we create avenues of access not only for the rich, but for all?
During this conference, we will gather to draw from psychology, psychoanalysis, social theory, cultural studies, public policy and public service in order to build on PsiAN’s success as a force of healing, of both individuals and our world. There has never been a more important time than now for collective action to support substantive treatment. Please join us as we organize to ensure the future of psychotherapy!
Featured speakers include:
- Jonathan Shedler, talking about the false narrative of quick-fix therapies
- Bryant Welch discussing the disappearance of talk therapy at the APA and what to do about it
- Oksana Yakushko on Rats, Stats, and the Search for Happiness: A Critical History of Psychotherapy in American Academia
- Allan Scholom on The Psycho-Politics of Evidence Based Practice and the Assault on Our Mental Health and Mental Health Care
- Enrico Gnaulati on Saving Talk Therapy: How Health Insurers, Big Pharma, and Slanted Science are Ruining Good Mental Health Care
- Todd Essig on the incursion of the digital world into the world of local therapy
- Union reps on Collective Action: To Union or not to Union?
Come join us! December 13-15 2019! Add your voice to protect the right to humane, effective mental health care for those who need it most.